Sunday, May 18, 2008

the problem with HOW

I am coming close to a crossroads of crisis. Sound melodramatic? It may be. I'm not sure how else to put it. I have been aware for going on two years that design may not actually be my thing.

So, I am aware of this but continue to strive to do good work in my discipline, to find work in my discipline, to succeed and be happy in my discipline. It's been a little rocky over the last couple of years, no coincidence. I left the creative department that I built to see if I could be a creative director at an advertising / design studio and was heartbroken when the owner turned out to be a piece of shit who ran the company into the ground three months after I started. Freelancing and unemployment tested my commitment to the world of design quite a bit. I finally got a corporate job that pays a living wage, but now I live as a creative janitor.

One of the perks of working for the big corporation is that they can afford to send me to a conference in my discipline. So, I jumped at the chance to come to HOW in Boston. I thought, I'll get a little creative juice, mix with my peers, see a couple of friends, have a good time.

Here's the thing: I think if I have to listen to another designer tell me about their process or their challenges or their portfolio or any other way tell me how fucking cool they think they are, I may just pierce my eardrums with a free-crap pen.

"Uh-oh!", right? What the hell am I doing at a design conference if I can't stand other designers?

No comments: