Saturday, July 21, 2007

untying

what drives us to write? A bit of despair, to be sure. I have not had the most wonderful year. I won’t bore you with the details, but it has been getting progressively worse. I was driving and feeling a bit desperate, teeth clenched and stomach tight, when it occurred to me that a lot of shit was going through my head and needed to be laid out in some kind of order. Writing helps.

Don’t get me wrong; my desperation does not compare to folks with major grief and pain. I am fairly lucky, overall. I think the first whiff of desperation comes when you begin to worry about losing what you’ve gained... again, writing helps.

I read a lot, too, which can be good and bad. I attribute a large part of my overall knowledge and personal perspective on the fact that I read constantly. I am not a literary scholar but can appreciate good work. Lately I have been realizing that I can spend too much time reading -- reading occupies my mind with information assimilation (regardless of what I’m reading) instead of exploring my own imagination and creativity.

So I’m getting in here and untying some knots. I’m using a program called MacJournal -- if you’ve never heard of it, you should check it out:

MacJournal







No comments: